.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Adventures Beyond the Comfort Zone

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Settling in...

I finally got myself out of Brookings yesterday. After sifting through much clutter, I picked out what I'd need in Madison, put aside what I could do without, and pitched out what I wouldn't miss. In my return visits to home this summer, I'm hoping to do a lot more of the latter. In this rediscovering-of-self process I've started, I'd really like to gouge out the pack-rat within.

Tangent{ MercyMe just released a new song called "So Long, Self." I was instantly enamored by the creativity of a break-up song written to the singer himself. But it also set me thinking about how I related to my Self after starting a serious relationship with Jesus.

In years past, I'd done my best to leave myself behind, but in these last few months, I found Him re-introducing me to my Self.

I feel more like mySelf than ever.

It's funny... that line in Corinthians about letting the old Self die so the new Self can really live has always been one of my favorites, but I guess the second half didn't really sink in until recently. I wish I could remember where I heard it, but someone on the radio said, "Jesus doesn't only want to pull you from the burning car wreck of sin, He wants to drive you to the hospital and make sure you get better." } <!--end of tangent-->

Getting back to last night: I unpacked and settled in. The [shouldIreallyspilltheirlastnameonline]'s shared with me their dinner, which tasted much better than the frightful descriptions of what salmon supposedly tastes like. Then I crashed in front of the tube with my hero, Dr. Phil (and I stayed there for the rest of the evening).

At some point, Laura came down to see that I was able to make myself at home. She found that I had already put down roots and become a potato.

I enjoyed a warm shower in the bathroom directly adjacent to my beautiful room before finally collapsing in my large, comfy bed (the largest bed I've ever had).

I went out for breakfast McDonald's this morning and discovered long-not-seen Justin as well as one of those awkward encounters where I recognized someone who recognized me, but could not think of her name or how I knew her...

Then followed an exciting trip to Jubilee for my very first attempt at buying food for myself. I couldn't help wondering how obvious it was that I'd never fended for myself before.. It didn't help that I had another one of those awkward encounters on my way through the produce section. I'm not even sure she saw me; one of the produce guys returned my greeting instead...

Anywho, I think I'll manage. I only need to survive a few months of my own cooking...

Oh, yeah. Finals ended fairly well. Most of the projects finished with a good 5 to 10 minutes to spare, and a solid 'B' average for the semester. Evidence enough for me that the perfectionist within is finally going away.

amended a few hours later:

This is a very special entry from Kevin's accountability partner, Matt! Kevin has been behaving himself, and for that, I am very proud of him! Good job Kevin!

And accept for his sneaky addition to my entry there, I would like to say the same for Matt.

1 Comments:

  • Kevin, I know you've had salmon before. Mom makes it too often for you to have avoided it entirely. And since when did Dr. Phil become your hero? That's weird.

    I also think it's funny that we're still on the same schedule/life improvement plan. You have no idea how much junk I've been cleaning out of my room in the last few days.

    By Blogger Kim, at 25/5/06 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home