.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Adventures Beyond the Comfort Zone

Friday, January 13, 2006

Mature content finally handled maturely (long!) [PG-13]

It's been an emotional vacation for me. I am so glad that we got so much time this year, because I really needed all of it.

By the end of the semester, I felt not only physical exaustion, but emotionally disconnected, spiritually malnurished, and socially imbicilic. So much time went into getting projects done for my numerous studio classes, that I had very little time to just hang out. Alicia... I know she wasn't being demanding... that she just missed spending time with her boyfriend... But if I was going to do well with school, I couldn't measure up to what she wanted. Or what anyone else wanted. I'm constantly turning down invitations to hang out, watch movies, or the infamous 1am Citgo run (even though it changed its name and another gas station took over, we still know it as Citgo). And yet I'm still behind on sleep and feeling rushed to get things done, feeling like I should regret what little social interaction I had. I guess it'd been building all semester... if not longer.
What finally broke me was after finally pushing my way through a week of final projects and returning home.. I was still turning down invitations and still asking Alicia to be patient with me so that I could spend a few days of ME time to try and recover my strength. Felt like no one would understand because everyone else was ready to party, so shouldn't I. Why does everyone expect so much from me? .... I guess that's where a lot of the previous entry came from. But with all that going through my exhausted mind, I just shut down... let my GameCube absorb me.. And I think it helped in its own way. Alowed me to recover physically and mentaly to a point were I was strong enough to deal with emotions.

I started slowly, adding one messanger program at a time, started talking to people again. Started turning my phone on again. Started accepting who I really am. Accepting that I'll always be a little behind. Accepting that I can't maintain a serious dating relationship while I'm still getting through school (I've lost faith in the dating system anyway, but that's a can of worms for another blog).

Durring this last week, I've been reconnecting to message boards and blogs that I'd neglected, and in the process stumbled across some random 13 year old girl's blog that I was able to identify with. And I recognized a part of myself in a friend she was talking about. It had sounded like this friend was affraid to confront a couple other friends, or was affriad they wouldn't listen... or something. It struck me as.. "No! Don't be affraid to share your beliefs and/or opinions! You don't want to be like me...." I don't think I heard myslef...
But the seed was planted. It sounds like an old cliche, but "better to be rejected for who you are, than accepted for who you aren't." That phrase just stuck in my head, sloooowly sinking in.

As I'm following her blog, she talks about being frustrated with being 'abnormal.' Anyone who knows me, knows how deep a chord that struck. So as I'm typing encouragement, freak to freak, I start hearing my own words again and realise that it's not too late for me to follow my own advice.
I don't care anymore if I can't go to every play/concert/whatever. I don't care if some people give me a hard time for being a 23 year old, male fan of the Powerpuff Girls. It doesn't matter if anyone understands my seemingly greater need for ME time if I don't actually give it to myself (though I've been practicing that one for a few months now)


So in the continuing spirit of being true to myself, I now bring you the following sleepless writings from last night:

{
still having trouble getting to bed on time... actually got here at a much more reasonable hour, but now that I'm here, I'm not feeling tired anymore... can't stand it...

But as long as I'm here, I may as well try again to get something off my chest... or maybe I should say out of my chest... It's been buried deep in my heart for some time now.

A couple years ago I'd earned the title of 'Modesty Nazi' from my girlfriend back then. At first it felt pretty good standing against tight shirts and midriffs and such, a champion of modesty. ... right.. At first, she'd been pretty understanding and even willing to change or modify what she was wearing..
I soon tried to share this opinion with a few other female friends, but it was frequently met with anger or frustration. After a while my girlfriend began to tire of it as well (I'll detail why later). I seem to remember the final straw coming during a week of working as stage crew during Sonshine Music Festival when I'd been bold enough to make a comment to one of the members of Superchick. She seemed to take the comment pretty well, but everyone else just seemed fed up with my ideals when they heard what I'd done...

After that I just gave up and stuffed the message, nobody wanted to hear what I'd had to say. I'd tried to be tactful, and quit often failed. So I just gave up.


Except... except that I'd never been bold enough to really talk about why I felt so strongly about it... because that means admitting..
Every low neckline... every tight pair of jeans... every shirt that doesn't quite connect with the garments on the lower half... I know these things sound like only mere scraps of indecency, it's enough to feed and nourish a part of me that I don't want to be fed or encouraged in any way. Not until I have me a wife. I have to admit that I have given in to the pervert within me, and that I know what it wants. Sure, it ultimately wants a whole lot more, but these scraps are enough to get it started... and these scraps keep it alive.
Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to put all the blame on women. So long as it's still fighting to get out, I've got to be the one to keep it chained up. (though I've gotten pretty mad at the culture around me for bringing it to life so early and for keeping it so well fed, especially television) ...And there is some comfort in knowing that all men deal with this to some degree.
What the Modesty Nazi was really about was me looking for help without wanting to admit I needed it. It was so much easier to say that I simply didn't like the tight/low shirt than to say that I really did like it in a way I wasn't comfortable with. I had gotten so caught up in this, it was later brought to my attention, I was so worked up about how well 'protected' she was from my dark side, that I hardly ever told her how pretty she was. (and she was/still is, but we're just friends again) My fear of being too attracted physically, I neglected to even realize that I was only telling her what I didn't want to see... afraid to admit that darker part that did want to see...

and that fear eventually drove the Modesty Nazi underground, where he's remained hidden to this very day. I

I am truly sorry that I've kept this inside so long. I don't want my feminine friends to be targets of lust, or to feel guilty as a stumbling point to men in their lives.
}

Perhaps i should note that I do recognize how dificult it is to find truly modest clothing for sale these days... If there's anything else I haven't considered I'm sure someone will let me know.
If anyone managed to make it this far, please... please leave a comment. I want to know who reads all this, and especially how today's post is recieved. Build me up, tear me down, I don't care. I wan't to know what you think!

7 Comments:

  • Hey Kev,
    I know what you're talking about and sometimes as a girl I get upset at the clothing that other girls wear. And I admit that sometimes I wear immodest clothing. But it might be good for you to think of why girls wear these clothes in the first place. Sometimes, as you said, we just can't find anything else. But also, many of us secretly want to feel pretty and immodesty is what our culture tells us is pretty.

    So here's an idea. Affirm your female friends when they dress modestly. Tell them they look great even if they're just wearing sweats. It will help build self esteem and eliminate the desire to wear something entirely immodest.

    And yes, I do believe your definition of immodesty is a bit overreaching, but I understand the reasoning why. Have you prayed about this? It's usually very effective *wink*.

    I hope it isn't forward of me to post here. I'm just trying to help a brother out. Have you read the book "Captivating?" It's a good read and it might help you out.

    Love in Christ,
    Dianna

    By Blogger Dianna, at 13/1/06 7:39 PM  

  • Kevin,

    I agree with your view on women's clothing. There are instances when it really is hard to find other clothes to wear (i'm five feet tall, and I have square shoulders ><).

    It is wonderful to talk about your views on things, but like Dianna said it's good to build up your friends that you see that are looking nice. When you do tell them that they need to change, be tactful . Something I lack.

    I don't want this to be taken as whiny or jealous, but atleast you are invited to these things. I am glad that you have found where you are and what you need to do for yourself. :D I don't like you burned out or freaking out.

    By Blogger Ali, at 13/1/06 11:19 PM  

  • Thank you. Your comments are more than welcome here, and I really appreciate your perspective on this issue. I will definatly work on affirming modesty, or female apperance in general. I've heard that women are more sensitive about it, but so often have trouble wrapping my head around the idea that any woman would think that she wasn't pretty... I forget. Something for me to work on as long as I'm starting fresh again :)

    Overreaching? Maybe... but I'm not going to concide that easily. Are not all of the standards that God calls us to equally rigid? Until God lets me know that I'm delivering the wrong message, I'll stand by what I think He put in my heart.

    Prayer has definatly been an effective weapon in these battles. When I remind myself to look back, I can see my tollerance levels at their highest when my prayer life was at its best.
    Of the books I've read, I'm not familiar with that one. Thank you

    By Blogger ~Kevin, at 13/1/06 11:29 PM  

  • Hey there brother.

    Definitely try to focus on the positives with girls. We are desperate for acceptance, desperate to be told we are beautiful and loved. This is something you'll learn when you read Captivating, but you must read Wild at Heart first.

    On the subject of overreaching, I would bring up Galations 6:1-5. "Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load."

    The key there seems to me that we need to approach correction in a humble manner. You might have thought you had tact when you were being the Modesty Nazi, but let me tell you that you most certainly did not, at least when it came to me.

    Sorry, I didn't mean for the comment to end on a negative note, but I need to go to bed now.

    By Blogger Kim, at 14/1/06 12:38 AM  

  • *huggies* I read the whole thing. I understand what your talking about on most all of it. but yea i don't know what o say since I am talking ot you on MSN right now. Except to say I love you the way you are, your my favoritest big brother and I hope that never changes!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 14/1/06 1:52 AM  

  • sometimes you just need to take time off from time or the rest of the world and go on a thinking fast it sorts out a lot of stuff... not thinking or alternately shutting out the world and doing nothing but thinking almost always gives you a new perspective...just dont come back to the real world in one go... slowly ease yourself in and dont go against the tide let it carry you where it will but never lose control of where you are being carried...

    By Blogger TheCheshireCat, at 14/1/06 6:10 AM  

  • it doesnt make sense to air your opinions where they arent gonna be accepted...as long as people who matter know and give a shit as to what u think it is ok...if your opinions are just gonna be rejected it doesnt make sense and causes unnecessary tension...i have learnt the hard way...was the pg thirteen meant for me???????ok i no this sounds very condescending and pretentious specially cause i am thirteen...but i have an older cousin who i am pretty close to so here goes... sometimes when u i.e. a girl are feeling low, just to put on something sleeveless short and tight and go out and have a few people stare at you lifts you up... i dont know why and i dont think it makes sense... it just does make you feel good, on the other hand if you are feeling on top of the world you can be wearing your painters overall and feel like you are in a vera wang or chanel ballgown, i know it is slightly weird but who said life was not, in a way i am glad coz how boring would it be if everything was normal and boring...

    By Blogger TheCheshireCat, at 14/1/06 6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home